Monday, May 12, 2008

Gays and hippies!



Do you see that? Look reeeeal close, just to the right of the OPEN sign. That, my friends, may be the only pride rainbow in the Central Valley.

And, as you might imagine, the place it's stuck to is my new favorite store - Natures RX, a tiny little health food store in downtown Ripon (pronounced Rippin').

I went to this place over the weekend to investigate claims that they sell kombucha - and it was true! I nearly fell down. And not only that! Local, pesticide-free pumpkin seeds! Tea tree oil-infused toothpicks! Organic tampons!

(Pause: please, regular tampon users, I beseech you. Think. Would you drink Clorox? No? Then why do you think it's okay to stick the stuff up your cooch?)

While I was there, a lovely young hippie couple wandered in - you know the type, guy with weird hat, long-haired girl with baby on hip. They strolled in, had a quick chat with the owner - who was busy ranting with me about how women don't know their tampons are giving them cancer (!!) - and slipped back out from whence they came.

Now this kind of thing might be normal for all of you Portland or San Francisco or other-cool-place dwellers, but in these parts, I might as well have seen a pair of friggin' leprechauns.

I almost felt high when I walked out of the place. Maybe it was the patchouli. Nature RX, where have you been all my life?

1 comment:

2nd day story said...

How was the kombucha? Did you know you can buy your very own mushroom online?

And, believe it or not, one of the sportscasters on KNBR drinks the stuff -- 'that mushroom stuff,' he calls it.