Wednesday, April 30, 2008

On the Job

It happens every week. Deadline, Wednesday at 5 p.m., descends upon me like a crapping seagull. At around 9 a.m. Wednesday morning, the shit hits the fan. I huff. I grumble. I swivel in my office chair and say, "This is the day I give up."

I know it's coming. And yet, I can't seem to make my week play out any differently.

The moral of this uninspired story is this: I have a ton of writing to do today about boring things like grand jury findings and downtown business assessments. So I will likely not be writing a proper blog entry, as I'd hoped.

Instead, I offer to regale you with a couple of my favorite photos taken On the Job (at least of the ones i have on my home computer). And the winners are:

Were these high school hellions throwing garbage at passing cars on a Wednesday afternoon? Young hippies making a statement about recycling? Think again. This Christian group was making a cross out of trash to display at a busy intersection in downtown Manteca. They couldn't exactly explain the connection between the trash and the savior - and believe me, I pushed - but they did muster something about Christ taking all of your garbage and making it into ... I don't remember, pancakes or something.


This Republican booth was at last fall's pumpkin fair (we grow pumpkins here). Poor Hillary took it again and again. Unfortunately for Hillary, she was a 10-year-old girl; the mommy and daddy Republicans were off eating corn dogs somewhere, quite dry.








Bet the principal didn't
expect to see a pimp in his school's Halloween parade. The school begged me not to run the photo in the paper, but I just couldn't help myself.










This was one hell of a day.











And here's me in the office. Don't I look like I have it together?


And I'm off!

No comments: